CareerBuilder.com released the results of its annual Interview Mistakes survey of more than 3,000 hiring managers and HR professionals. Apparently it’s not as uncommon as one might think to fall asleep, bring your mom, or go to the bathroom and never come back. However, here are a few of the most unusual things candidates have done in interviews:
- Candidate answered cell phone and asked the interviewer to leave her own office because it was a “private” conversation.
- Candidate told the interviewer he wouldn’t be able to stay with the job long because he thought he might get an inheritance if his uncle died – and his uncle wasn’t “looking too good.”
- Candidate said she could not provide a writing sample because all of her writing had been for the CIA and it was “classified.”
- When applicant was offered food before the interview, he declined saying he didn’t want to line his stomach with grease before going out drinking.
- A candidate for an accounting position said she was a “people person” not a “numbers person.”
- Candidate flushed the toilet while talking to interviewer during phone interview.
51% of hiring managers cited dressing inappropriately as the most detrimental mistake a candidate can make in an interview. Speaking negatively about a current or previous employer came in second (49%) and appearing disinterested ranked third (48%). Other mistakes included appearing arrogant (44%), not providing specific answers (30%) and not asking good questions (29%).
Seriously, hit the mute button if you must GO during an phone interview. Hilarious - JT